Protecting yourself against oral cancer requires awareness. According to the Cancer Council Australia, Oral cancers in Australia account for approximately 2-3% of all cancers, and approximately 1% of deaths from cancer. Most of the deaths caused by oral cancer are a result of lack of awareness. Oral cancer is a highly treatable cancer in the early stages. Defend yourself and your family against the threat of cancer by scheduling regular dental examinations.
Heathcote Dental uses advanced technologies to provide thorough oral cancer screenings for our patients. While a visual oral cancer screening is standard with every dental checkup, if you believe you have an advanced risk of oral cancer, you may request a VELScope or Vizilite early oral cancer screening.
SOME SIGNS OF ORAL CANCER
- White or red splotchy sores in the mouth
- Ulcers or lesions on soft tissues of the mouth that do not heal in 14 days
- Thick lumps inside the mouth or throat
- Chronic throat pain
- Change in voice
- Unexplained numbness in the throat or mouth
- Difficulty with speaking, chewing, or swallowing
SOME RISK FACTORS FOR ORAL CANCER
- Tobacco use, including smoking and chewing tobacco
- Excessive alcohol consumption (especially when combined with smoking)
- Family history
- Excessive exposure to UV rays from the sun or tanning beds